Saturday, March 22, 2008

CAN CRAFTS HISTORY


"An aluminum can takes 300 to 400 years to biodegrade... but in the hands of a volunteer it is question of minutes, to transform it into a valuable object... Give me one can and I will present a better tomorrow to you... " This is the way we begin the conferences for adults and children.
As a girl, I saw my father arrive at our home, with his hands full of blisters; it was his job to take off a "Chiclet" at the bottom of the gallon of bleach (Clorox). Today it is still difficult for me to throw away one of these plastic containers, without remembering those days. It is why I dedicated myself to do recycling.

One night, after seeing the film "Twister", I remained awake until late night, cutting a pop can, but it was not sufficient to do that because the danger of the edges; they were like "ninja stars" . That's why I united it to "foamis", the one with sticky foam. They came out so nice that they began to sell like "hot cakes". Soon, the calls arrived asking for my services: to buy them or to give seminars around the island on different activities. There, we showed the change and Metamorphosis of a can to butterfly; with an analogy of this transformation. We distributed samples and in some cases, depending on the group, we make one item that finishes as a key ring, or a refrigerator magnet, or an ornament.
At the moment I concentrate my efforts with aluminum cans; although I also work with different materials like cardboard, paper, plastics and things that the factories throw away. They are not garbage (garbage is garbage) they are recyclable materials.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and please, send this group link to your friends and share the news. Yvonne Hernandez"

No comments: